Since launching in 2008, Yahoo! ® has built one of the largest global Internet-connected TV platforms, bringing the best of the Web to the TVs of millions of consumers across 135 countries. Last year at CES, we opened up the Yahoo! Connected TV platform to app developers. Today, we are announcing the expansion of the Connected TV Widget Developer Program providing developers the opportunity to create Paid TV Widgets to be featured in the Yahoo! Connected TV Store. The Yahoo! ® Connected TV Store is expected to launch in late Spring of 2011. If you’ve got an idea for a killer app for the TV, you can start now – download the latest WDK, review the Yahoo! Connected TV Store program, and get to work.
Reach millions of consumers on top TV brands from VIZIO, Toshiba, Samsung, Sony and LG
Yahoo!’s Connected TV platform brings the best of the Web to millions of viewers around the world on the most popular TV brands including Sony, Samsung, VIZIO, LG, and Toshiba. Creating a Paid TV Widget is done through the existing WDK, so no new developer APIs are required. Paid TV Widget pricing will be set by developers for a one-time purchase between $0.99 and $99.00. Yahoo! will handle payment processing for the Paid TV Widgets, providing consumers a simple interface to purchase the applications. Yahoo! will deliver payments to developers, based on a revenue share of 70% of the purchase price. The Paid TV Widget developer program is initially open to developers and publishers in the US, UK, Germany, Spain, Sweden, France, Canada and Australia. We anticipate expanding the program to developers in additional markets in the future.
We’re already testing a handful of innovative Paid TV Widgets. Here’s a flavor of what’s in store from a few of the developers registered in our program:
- Kadoo from MediaFly – upload your home movies, access them from your TV and share privately with friends and family.
- PlayJam – pay-to-play 3 of PlayJam’s fun, yet challenging, casual games: Darts, Miami Pool and Japanese puzzle game, Puzdoku.
- Virtual Nerd – download video-based tutoring modules for students on the TV. Virtual Nerd offers more than 1,000 engaging algebra and physics tutorials, available anytime in the comfort of your own home.
- ScreenDreams – set the mood when entertaining or relaxing and enhance your living décor with beautiful fireplaces, aquariums, fine art, and more.
- Accedo Broadband – play premium versions of popular poker game, Texas Hold ‘em, and the game that puts your music knowledge to the test, Music Madness.
- MyCast Weather – check the weather in an easy to interpret format on your TV. Your weather experience comes to life with high definition radar and cloud imagery, real-time current conditions and forecasts displayed.
For details on the soon-to-launch Yahoo! Connected TV Store, go the Connected TV Store page.
We’re excited to see your creativity unleashed. With your help, we’ll make the Connected TV experience even better for millions of people around the world in 2011.
-The Yahoo! Connected TV Team